A minimal and daemonless notification program for X.
Source code | Download 0.2 | Man page
- Very lightweight. ~250 lines of C.
- Probably no dependencies, apart from the pre-installed X11 ones.
- Multiple notifications are queued using a lock file. This avoids the trouble of having a daemon (e.g D-Bus) constantly running in the background.
- Non-blocking behavior, so that it can be used inside scripts easily.
- Configuration is done by editing
config.hand recompiling the source code, in a similar fashion to suckless utilities. No knowledge of C is required to edit the file. Compilation takes around 1 second.
- Clicking on the notification window will make it disappear.
nfy works by piping text into it. Text cannot be passed as argument:
$ echo 'hello world' | nfy $ nfy < foo.txt
stdin is empty, it exits with an error:
$ nfy nfy: stdin is empty
First make sure all settings in
config.mk are set according to your system’s
# make install clean
Send feedback and bugs to
christos AT margiolis DOT net.