I just made my afternoon one and I thought it would be a good idea to share the "recipe" with the rest of world outside Greece. Despite the day of writing this, it's not an April Fools joke.
Frappé was created by "accident" in Thessaloniki in 1957 at the International Fair. Yannis Dritsas, the representative of Nestlé couldn't find hot water to make instant coffee during his break, so he mixed instant coffee, cold water and ice cubes in a shaker.
- Instant coffee. Nescafé is the standard.
- Cold water.
- Ice cubes (at least 3).
- Sugar (optional).
- Σκέτος (bitter): No sugar.
- Μέτριος (medium): 1 tbsp or as much as coffee.
- Γλυκός (sweet): More sugar than coffee.
- ½ or 1 tbsp of coffee milk (optional).
You'll also need a tall glass, a straw and a shaker.
- Pour 1 finger of cold water in the glass.
- Add coffee and sugar.
- Shake the mix until it creates a thick cream, but not more, otherwise it'll come out too foamy.
- (Optional) Add the coffee milk.
- Add the ice cubes.
- Fill the rest of the glass with water.
- Get a straw and stir the mix until it all becomes one.
Always drink it with a straw!